Friday, May 22, 2009

Roholoff and a Book Review - The Hungry Cyclist by Tom Kevill-Davies

In my profile I talk about reading as one of my favourite hobbies but have barely mentioned a book in any of my posts. I am planning on getting a new bike for a trip to India towards the end of the year. I have decided upon a touring Mountain bike with Titanium frame, S&S couplings and a Rohloff gears. The reason for the Rohloff hub is that it provides 14 equally spaced gears all within the rear hub. From reading around it would seem to be reliable and although perhaps slightly heavier than derailleur gears when all the additional gubbings (cogs front and rear, changers etc) it comes out fairly even in weight. Don't hold me to this I have yet to do the math. The real benefit though is that because it is enclosed it should be less susceptible to damage when the bike is being transported on aeroplanes and in the event of a crash. It should also still work in wet and muddy conditions. When cycling though Cambodia with a derailleur geared bike I had to stop and use water to clean the chain/gears to get them to shift properly.


So why am I telling you all of this - well around the same time I cycled from bangkok to Saigon a friend cycled from Cairo to Jerusalem. I mentioned to him that I was thinking of getting a Rohloff equipped bike and he pass me the email address of a chap on the "crew" of his cycle ride who was a Rohloff user. In addition he had just written a book about some of his cycling and eating experiences in North and South America. Well I bought the book but have yet to get in touch to check out his view of the hub. If you have ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance the concept of "gumption" is introduced. Essentially the spirit to undertake a tricky task drain away as the task progresses, particularly if you encounter problems. The author refers to the stuff that drains away as "gumption" and sometimes you have to stop and take a rest to let the gumption levels rise again. I have many times found myself struggling with some mechanical maintenance task - the nut that won't come loose, the damaged screw that won't turn - and found that when I leave the problem alone and return to it refreshed nine times out of ten I sort it immediately.

I use cycling books to help keep my cycling gumption levels topped up. I love cycling, but if I don't go out regularly find that I get out of the habit and then it gets harder and harder to return to the saddle. If you only have an hour to spare and it happens to be raining and windy at the time then it takes some willpower for me to get out and cycle, mind you when I do I also return refreshed and of course wet! This is one of these books - an epic journey, trials tribulations and in Tom's case he used food as his source of "gumption". I really enjoyed it - a straightforward account of a cycling adventure it made me want to plan a trip across the Americas, for the cycling, food and to meet the people. Here is a link to what appears to be his old website: old.thehungrycyclist.com The link to www.thehungrycyclist.com indicates that it is under construction?


One of the first books in this genre was by Josie Dew - it was called "The Wind in My Wheels" and has been followed by a further six books of her cycling travels around the world. Of anyone she is responsible for my two, by comparison, somewhat limited adventures. Her tales of her cycling trials and tribulations along with delightful insights into the people and countries she visits are definitely inspirational. She has a website mentioned above with more information and updates. Most recently she has acquired a Rohloff hub for her bike. It must be catching.

No comments:

Post a Comment