Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Update- with two Hands - just

As readers of my last post will know I was unlucky enough to be in an RTA - Road Traffic Accident on Saturday. After visiting casualty I had my diagnosis of a broken collar bone confirmed. You can feel a big bulge where there used to be a bit of bone and the bulge could be pushed in. After X-rays and appropriate diagnosis I was given a sling and some painkillers and told to take 100% rest and report back to the Hospital Fractures clinic on the following Wednesday (today).

The first few days were very sore, it was not too much hardship to rest - anything else would have been too painful. Even getting undressed/dressed on my own was too painful - yes I needed help and I took painkillers before going to bed and getting dressed in the morning to ease the pain. Generally sitting propped up in one position was not too bad but anything else was low priority. When I was hit I was hot and sweaty from the cycling, but could not face a shower or bath for the first few days. I had to have my food cut up for me. By Monday I found I did not need the painkillers during the day, and was able to use my laptop, one handed with it perched on my lap. Going to the loo was not easy but at least I did not need help, the worst bit was the way my right arm/shoulder would move by reflex - the pain stopped too much of that.

By Wednesday I decided that I did not need the painkillers, things had stabilised and I was getting better at avoiding movements that hurt. Since I was off to the Hospital I decided to take a bath, it seemed only fair to Doctor who would be examining me. Getting the bath was fine and it was really nice to lie in the hot water easing the bumps and bruises. (Head and down the right hand side -Elbow, Collar bone, Ribs, Thigh and Knee). Washing with one hand was not too bad, it felt like I was returning to being a human being rather than an invalid. One thing I had overlooked - getting out. We have handles on the bath, but whoever designed them does not really seem to have tested them under real conditions. I had two choices, hang around in the bath, topping it up with warm water until my wife came home or persevere. In the end I managed to turn around so my back was to the taps and then the handle(s) were more effective. I have a lot more sympathy for older and disabled people, baths are not easy. Dressing and shaving was fine, helped by the fact that although I have hurt my right collar bone I am left-handed.

Here in Cambridgeshire we have a major hospital on our doorsteps - Addenbrookes. Each time I visit it seems to get bigger and bigger. The good news is that they have put in a decent multi-storey car park. Although I am a keen advocate of green transport, even with something as minor as broken collar bone the last thing you want to do is catch a bus or walk miles. Even the short car journey was quite unpleasant, they don't make roads like they used to, I felt every pothole. Once there it was a short walk through to the Fracture Clinic (Clinic 1). A place I had visited before, not for me but for both of my children (a broken arm apiece). It seems easy to knock the NHS but certainly at Addenbrookes things seem to happen quickly and everyone seems to be friendly.

It was also re-assuring that the doctor immediately made a point of mentioning that he wouldn't shake my hand - sit hows he had read my notes and had a sense of humour. As I had already found out the treatment for a broken collar bone is often conservative, or wait and see. My break is in the middle and it will be left to heal and checked after 6 weeks. Not all do heal, which then would require a plate but the first approach is to wait. As you can imagine I can't cycle or do anything too physical and will use the sling for a few weeks, but even after a few days I can feel things improving. I think the doctor did wonder about my mental health though. In order to check and test you have to push and pull and grip and it seemed I would always start by pushing in the wrong direction.

Although taking photographs has not been uppermost on my mind here is one- it sits on the dashboard of my wife's car - fitting, for me.


Actually this is my first proper bone break. I did break my nose 30 years ago playing "rugby" on my way back from work with some friends, but did not have anything done to it. My Dad (now a retired doctor) did offer to fix it, but since that involved some forceps up the nose I declined the kind offer. My brother broke is leg a couple of years ago jogging and my Dad broke his hip, but they have passed the mantle onto me, not that I wanted it.

1 comment: